Eyeful

Eyeful
Eye to eye with a Great Horned Owl.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Busy Parents

Yesterday whilst enjoying an evening libation on the porch and the first manifestation of sun in awhile, I happened to visually follow the flight of a passing woodpecker and espied its destination -- a nest hole in a neighboring birch tree.

So today I attached my 300mm f/4 cannon to my diminutive Sony NEX 5n, put it on a tripod and setup to see if I could catch them in the act of parenting.

It worked!


























Male Hairy Woodpecker with larva of somekind.




Male Hairy coming out of nest. They duck in occasionally to take out the garbage....

























Female Hairy with large ant.

Now that I know where it is and know that I can get my pics without disturbing their duties, I'm going to have to keep an eye on things. Hopefully I'll be able to catch some shots of the wee ones poking their heads out as they prepare for their journey into the big world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment